There Will Be No Winning Streak
I don’t really feel like doing any kind of in-depth recap of loss number 24. They are kind of starting to all look the same to me.
• Monday’s 6-1 loss marked the eighth time this season the Royals have scored exactly one run. Last year, they scored exactly one run in 16 games.
• One day after Benito Santiago was released by the Pirates, the player the Royals acquired for Benny, Leo Nunez, was called up to the majors. In calling up yet another player who began the season in A-ball, Allard Baird is rotating as many young guys as he possibly can. John Sickels at Minor League Ball rates Nunez as the Royals 16th best prospect and gives him a grade of C+. Hell, I was excited that Allard was able to actually get a live body in exchange for Benny. Now we actually get to see him pitch in a big league game.
• I don’t like the way that new type of artificial turf (called FieldTurf, how original!) shows up on television. It always looks like my vertical hold is this close to going haywire.
• Did you know that Skydome is now called Rogers Centre? When did this happen?
• Just curious, does anyone who reads this blog pay for baseball information on the web? It seems like every time I visit the ESPN baseball website, they’ve moved another writer behind the “insider” veil.
• I’ll probably be late with the next update. I’m taking a break from baseball to go see the Killers tonight at the Uptown.
Zack Greinke goes for his first win of the season tomorrow. 3, 1, 1, 2, 0, 1. That's the game-by-game breakdown of run support for Greinke this season. No wonder he's still searching for his first win.